Just about every driver’s nightmare is getting a flat tyre or having a blow out while driving. When these things do happen, they tend to occur at the worst time and most desolate location. Keeping your tires in good condition and extending the longevity of your tyres depends on many factors, and there are many things drivers can do to keep their tyres longer and stay safe on the street.
In the past, the typical tyre lasted about 20,000 miles (32,187 kilometers) but today, many long-lasting tyres are able to stay on the road for up to 80,000 miles (128,748 kilometers). This doesn’t happen by accident, it takes care and knowing how to enhance your tyres life.
How to Enhance Your Tyres’ Life:
We all want to make sure our vehicles are performing at optimum levels, but we also don’t want to pay more than necessary to keep them maintained. A tyre’s tread directly impacts how it grips the road, and according to The Rubber Manufacturers Association, you should “regularly visually inspect the tread on your tires to make sure it can grip the road and is not unusually high, low or smooth.” Below are some tips that are very cost effective and keep your tyres at maximum efficiency.
- You should check your tyre pressure at least every 4,500 km or before going on long trips to make sure that it’s at the correct level. Improper air pressure can cause numerous problems including uneven and accelerated tyre wear, tyre failure and poor gas mileage. So keeping your tires at the proper pressure can actually save you money at the pump. According to Allen “correct tire inflation can increase fuel efficiency by 3.3 percent.”
- Make sure that when you inflate tires they are cool and that you fill it to the level indicated on the inside of the vehicles door or the operating manual—not the maximum limited imprinted on the tyre’s sidewall.
- For even wear, rotate your tyres every 10,000 to 13,000 km to keep tread wear even.
- Have your wheel alignment checked if you feel the wheel pull or as suggested in the owner’s manual. If your front or rear wheels are misaligned, it can cause uneven wear. By making sure your wheels are aligned is an easy way to increase the life of your tyres.
- Visually check the tires to make sure there are no irregularities in tread wear, cracks or bubbles, which could be signs of a potential blowout forthcoming.
- Make sure that treads are not too worn. If the tread wear is less than the 2/32 of an inch, it is a sign that the tread is getting too worn and it’s time to consider replacing the tyre. Also check for uneven wear patterns, which can be a sign of under or over inflation.
- Consider filling your tiyes with Nitrogen, which doesn’t expand or contract according to outside temperatures, and provides more even tyre wear.
Take your Car to the Care Tyre Experts:
If you looking how to enhance your tyres life, or if it’s time to replace your tyres, go to an expert that can provide you with automotive solutions that will keep your vehicle tires running at maximum efficiency. The expert at Glanworth Tyres, will look at your tyres, assess any problems and provide you with the best solution for your vehicles. They have locations in Glanworth, Little Island, Mallow, Clonmel and Dublin and stock a wide range of brands including: Firestone, Avon Tyres, Bridgestone, GoodYear, Yokohama, Michelin, Dunlop, Pirelli and more. For more information about Glanworty Tyres, visit http://www.glanworthtyres.com.